Tuesday, November 01, 2005

self portrait tuesday

This is my first entry for the November Challenge: exploration of identity. I believe we were supposed to use more props, but after many experiments, this is how this side of my identity revealed herself:

i am a closet goddess
which means everyone probably knows this already.
It means I believe strongly in the curve, no matter how straight or how curvy.
And I'm a big fan of brilliance and honesty
in whatever forms these come.
Soy una hija de Yemaya. Y de Ochun. They claim me in my dreams.
I won't carry the world on my shoulders anymore,
but I have it in my hands and
sometimes I cradle it in my arms, lucky world.


19 comments:

kiki said...

i think it's great sans props.

Anonymous said...

great post. I love your writing as well as the pictures.

kath red said...

gorgeous gorgeous - love it

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! C.Perello

Anonymous said...

Blast bugger and damnation I'm pissed my camera won't work! This is an excellent challenge.
I love the way your hair curls up in a wave in these shots, proving you really are una hija de yemaya!

Diz Rivera said...

Yes, Yoli! It's what I was trying for. I guess I did use my hair as a prop; ocean for Yemaya, a little vanity for Ochun. . .

Thanks everybody for the comments. This is kind of a scary assignment.

Bethany said...

Gorgeous. Yes, that's the word.

I agree that this is a very scary assignment. I've been worrying about it all week.

Diz Rivera said...

The hardest thing was admitting that I think this highly of myself. HA! But this is what I believe most women to be, the closet goddess. Some more closeted than others mainly because of a lack of basic belief in themselves.

Marigoldie said...

Lovely writings, lovely woman.

Anonymous said...

pretty pretty pretty

andrea said...

love this, so beautiful.

Heidi R. said...

u are so darn pretty!!!!!

Diz Rivera said...

*bliz-ush* thank you!

Unknown said...

Very Cool! The pics combined with words that ring true for many women :O)

Anonymous said...

love this post... that last sentence just rocks.

Anonymous said...

You are the most beautiest thing on this planet!!!!!!!!!!

Diz Rivera said...

Thank you, Papi. I think you're pretty hot too.

Kerstin Svendsen said...

what lovely pics and words. thanks! my first time visiting your blog....

autumnempire said...

lovely