Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dusting Is Fun

Maya's basketball season has started at school. After practice, after all the drills and running are done, Maya, and a couple of the girls and some of the coaches want to play a fun game of Knock Out. Knock Out is when anyone who wants to play lines up at the free throw line. The first two in line have basketballs; the first shoots but if she misses and the second player then makes it, guess what? The first is knocked out. Last week, I showed up before Knock Out and Maya begged for me to play with them. One of the main coaches mumbled to another coach, "Yo, Maya's mom can ball," which he knows because we went to high school together. And secretly I was all pumped that my legendary basketball skills were not just tales that I tell in the most longing of ways. So Maya begs and I'm standing there in jeans and flip flops and a nice sweater and shirt. Another coach says, "Naw, Maya. Your mom wants to go. We'll play next week." Maya ignores this and says, "Mami, seriously? You don't want to play Knock Out?" And I take off my purse, walk to the free throw line and say, "Run it." Mina stands in front of me and I let her take a few shots before I knock her butt out. The coach I went to high school with, Shamel, says, "Dang, just knock out your own child." I said, "She shoulda made it." Then I proceed to knock out everybody, Maya, players, coaches. Shamel slaps my hand on the way out. "You still got it, girl," he says. I feel a little like a meat head, all pumping my fists and strutting around, beating children at basketball, though there were grown-men coaches playing too. Next I'll be arm wrestling Lupe and kickboxing infants. 

9 comments:

Rozmin said...

That is awesome! I hope that if I ever have a teenage daughter, she wants me to play ball with her and isn't embarrassed to have me around! (Remembering my own teenage years ... my parents refer to them as "the Dark Ages").

Wendell said...

I'm scared to take my first spin class!

Thanks for the bike trail story; I think it sent me CA breeze.

Poundpapi said...

I'm sorry- I couldn't focus on anything after "smooth Thor-like thighs".

Maven said...

So good. And I'm so envious that you can ride trails right now. If I took a bike out in this shit I would a) freeze b) bust my ass on the ice and c) get hit by a car, because drivers in NE Wisconsin are not trying to look out for cyclists even in good weather.

Unknown said...

The imagery in your writing is spectacular - as far as your athletic skills, well, you rock!

Anonymous said...

You go, girl!

Diz Rivera said...

Thanks Rozmin -- I'm glad she and I can ball together too. ha!

Ooo Wendell, just get in there, girl. The great thing about spin is nobody can really see how fast or slow you're going. It's only about you and your workout -- forget the cultish nuts who are all intimidating.

PPapi - you and me both . . .

Maven - I miss you, girl.

Thanks Nec and Karen!

Unknown said...

You are fantastic. I was following your basketball story like it was sportscenter.

julie hasson said...

You are too cool Madness! Seriously!!