Monday, February 12, 2007

Self Portrait Challenge - anniversary

We have an ability to start a vacation immediately. No winding down, no gearing up. We hit the road and not one more thought of work piles or dish piles or endless tasks snuck in. Miles of desert and a big, fat skyline relaxed us. The girls read and played games. I read and daydreamed. By the time the girls were dropped off and as soon as we spotted the Luxor light beaming into space, our vacuum was sealed. This was us for two days.

We were gonna go to the spa, but lounging in the bed in the middle of the afternoon watching college hoops felt more luxurious.

During Sunday breakfast at the downstairs diner, we read the paper. I ate oatmeal. He ate an omelet. My hair was in a ponytail. Jeans, tshirt. Sneakers were back on my feet. He leaned over and said, "Mami, last night at the club did you really have your hand down my pants?" I flipped the paper down and stared at my coffee cup. I played back events. Then I put my forehead to the table and laughed. "Holy shit," I said. He put his section of the paper back up to his face and peeked around it one more time, nodding.

I had just gotten out of a long, hot shower that had no time constraints. A child had not yelled my name once. I put a towel on my hair, around my body too. Husband came in and handed me a box. A year ago, I had pined for a particular ring, which is uncharacteristic because I am not big on jewelry. Or at least not asking for jewelry. I had seen it in a magazine, but the handmade ring sold out quickly. None were on the horizon either. But he found it this year. It's a tiny band of rose gold. Etched in teeny script is reads, soulmate.

On the drive home, I showed the girls the ring. Mina blurted, "Look Maya, it says 'soul man'". This made us laugh for miles. But it doesn't take away my private pangs for my little ring. Or the fact that the tiny word states big truth.





More B&W portraits aqui.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoot, I was going to say awwwwwwww too. I guess I'll just say RIGHT ON.

SUEB0B said...

Triple awwwww. You two give me hope

Anonymous said...

oh my . .. my heart is just so happy for you two. What a decadent weekend. What a wonderful gift. May you have many, many more years together!

Melinda said...

There can never be too many awwwwws. Or at least not in this case, anyway. Lurv!

Anonymous said...

This post - and you - are beautiful like crazy.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great weekend and i love that leopard skirt. love. and the ring is amazing.

Marigoldie said...

Yes, what Suebob said, you give me hope. But you also complicate my "oh, you know, ALL couples are screwed up" line. Someday you must do a post about your secrets of success as a couple. I know that's corny, but for god's sake, I'm begging.

Diz Rivera said...

For you, M, for SueBob and certainly for hope, I would do a secrets of success post. I just don't want to pretend that sometimes I just feel lucky. I don't want pretend that parts haven't been hard. He and I have had one and a half significant skids in our past. We survived and became better partners for each other. And don't apologize for corny 'cause I believe in it, man. I mean, look at that ring I wanted.

Kathleen said...

this is a beautiful and intimate post. it made me sigh and giggle and also admire you for being so bold in the nightclub! hee!

lovely photo of two lovely souls.

happy anniversary and the holiday o'love! xo

Twisted Cinderella said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the pic and the peak into your weekend. It sounds heavenly!

angela said...

so beautiful, all of it. the way he is looking over at you in the first photo - so sweet.

i love the ring, still giggling about "soul man" :)

Deb R said...

Happy Anniversary!!

The photos are all wonderful.

Mrs. Spencer said...

oh madness, how grand!

the mirrored doors do wonders for your photos - as do the two of you for each other. the love between you is palbable through the computer screen and your bright words.

and i love, love, love your ring!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous post and set of pictures! Congratulations--sounds like an absolutely perfect weekend.