Thursday, August 31, 2006

Let's Lighten This Mother Up with a Meme

I ripped this meme off, as I do with all memes. This one I saw originally over at Andrea's joint.

1. Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, find line 4. Write down what it says:
Nearest book? You got it. From the Spanish dictionary: "an-he-lo (m.) yearning, longing."

2. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can...what do you touch first?
Mina's first grade school picture where she's smiling maniaclly; wearing an orange and pink stiped shirt, ponytail eskew. It's awesome.

3. What is the last thing you watched on TV?
Highlights of the Nadal/Philippoussis tennis match from the U.S. Open.


4. WITHOUT LOOKING, what time is it?
11:56am


5. Now look at the clock, what is the actual time?
12:00pm - shoot, it's lunchtime and I KNOW WHEN IT'S LUNCHTIME.


6. With the exception of the computer, what can you hear?
Only the LOUDEST SALES GUY to grace the planet who sits 4 cubicles away. If you're wondering, he's trying to register his kindergartener for school. They've lost her birth certificate and they need to prove to the school that she is indeed 5 years old. He also REALLY wants to see the waves in Cabo right now, dude. I know every detail of this guy's life.

7. When did you last step outside?
This morning when I drove Mina to summer camp @ 7:30am.

8. What are you wearing?
A black tshirt that says KYOTO all big in yellow letters, a little black cardigan, jeans, low white pumps and a offwhite organic hemp cotton belt. Holla!

9. When did you last laugh?
This morning, telling stories to Maya on the phone.

10. Seen anything weird lately?
Seeing the Beige Lady was weird. Speaking of which, Mina asked me yesterday, "Remember when that lady jumped?" And I said, "How do you know she jumped?" And she said, "Mama Luz said so." And I said, "We don't really know what happened to her." Mina said, "Did you see blood coming from her head? Did she break any bones?" I said, "No, I actually didn't see any of that." Silence. I swallowed hard and said, "How are you feeling about what happened?" And Mina said, "Well, if her head was bleeding, I'd never go on a tall building again if I saw that." I said, "I hear you, baby."

11. What did you dream last night?
Not a goddamn thing.

12. What's on the walls of the room you're in?
On my cubicle walls are the following: A Basquiat postcard, a bumper sticker that says PEACE, a few Final Four basketball pins that people have sent me over the years, three company purchase orders, this picture of Sebastian Telfair because to get to the NBA (with the entire weight of his family on his shoulders and at only 5'11") he had to relentlessly WORK HIS ASS OFF, two xeroxes of Mina and my hands stuck to the wall with a cocktail umbrella, a drawing by Mina of the family with a caption that reads: "Hi Mami are you haing a good taim becaues I'm haing a goo taim whith you. xoxoxoxoxooxx I (heart) you I (heart) you . Mami Maya Mina and the Dady (heart)." On the wall behind me, there is a painting by my mother that measures 5 feet by 4 feet. On my desk sit a million framed photos of the girls and Husband and a Virgin Mary candle. I also have an area rug. Here at work they call my cubicle Madness' Apartment. Don't hate.

14. What do you think of this survey?
I think it's cool even though the answers never seem as good as the questions.

15. What's the last film you saw?
Invincible which, y'know, I loved.

16. If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy first?
Freedom from my cubicle. I'd be ghost, baby. I'd be so goneski. Hasta la nunca mas, man.

17. Tell me something about you that I don't know.
If I get one hand wet, I have to get the other one wet too. It's this weird thing I have with symmetry. I feel off balance if I don't even things out and it mainly has to do with water. Like, if I step in a puddle, I have to put my other foot in the puddle too. Oookkaaayyy . . . OCD much?

18. If you could change one thing about the world, what would you change?
Let's start with the fundamentals, basic human needs, like abolish hunger.

19. Do you like to dance?
Sure.

20. Imagine your first child is a girl, what do you call her?
If I had another girl, her name would be . . .uh, I may be tapped out in this area. Lala? Naw. Saturday? Saturday Rivera? Hell yah.

21. Boy?
My son's name would be August or Malcolm.

22. Would you ever consider living abroad?
I'd live abroad 4-6 months out of the year, sure. Where would I live you ask? Spain and/or Puerto Rico and/or France.

Ok, this doesn't have to do with the meme, but I just wanna follow up in the category of Maya Wanting to Quit TaeKwonDo Forever: We told her today that she never has to compete in a tournament again if she doesn't want. We also told her we didn't want her to stop though, even if she goes just once a week; that she should still go for the exercise, for the discipline and mainly for the self defense. Husband and I have magnified in our minds Self Defense especially on the heels of the news that a 10 year old girl was raped in the Antelope Valley yesterday. Maya said purely and thoughtfully, without hesitation, OK, sounds good. It helped that she was asked to teach a class to younger kids at the TKD studio where she's been working out in Las Vegas. She wrote out a lesson plan and last night she ran an entire class herself for an hour and fifteen minutes. She told me the tiniest girl in the studio took to it the most and I told Maya that she probably inspired the little girl to get her own black belt. Maya beamed as she told me all about it and she seems to have rediscovered some love for the sport. One stomach ache down . . .

7 comments:

kristen said...

I always love coming here Madness, especially when there's a meme. Cool beans that Maya taught a TKD class and even better that you've given her a compromise.

LeS said...

Nice. All of it. But the cubicle made me smile the most.

I also loved doing this meme (you get the twin to my house next to mine if we both get the money?)

Good weekend to you and all of yours, yes?

Marigoldie said...

And I'm diggin that outfit.

Anonymous said...

ha, I am loving the visual I am having of your cubicle-slash-apartment :) I snagged this meme as well...

very Maya got to teach a class... sounds like it gave her quite a boost in spirit!

pixielyn said...

Ah good for Maya!!! Great ending to the summer for her and WOWZERS on your cubicle apt!!! That was fun to read!

andrea said...

well, I was hoping you'd bite. you know I love this!

so: I hear you on the symmetry thing and and girl, ain't nothin better than a ponytail eskew. NOTHING.

also, you have the best last name ever. rivera sounds cool with everything! but I especially love saturday rivera. so good.

Anonymous said...

um. i've tagged you for another tag.

http://www.lotr.homelinux.net/nutritilicious/archives/325

athena :-)