Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Music In Schools

As an artistic type, I believe it's important to fight to keep music in schools. I believed that whole-heartily until Mina took up trumpet this week. Dude. Trumpet. She sounds like she's part of the Spirited Bowl Jubilee. It's funny. For the first ten rounds of Hot Cross Buns. Then I wish I had hot cross bun earmuffs. "GOOD JOB, MINA!" "KEEP IT UP," I yell over the halted, air-filled blurts as I cry quietly to myself. Although, I'm revitalized when she tries a little Satchmo improv finger-work, all fast and screechy. Then I'm like, "Oh yea, Mina. Play it!"

I won't complain about the rental contract I had to scrawl in blood for the trumpet. I won't because I support music in schools! I most definitely support how it helps Mina's brain -- fires off some extra synapses -- even at the expense of our ears and pocketbook.

On many days, I pick up Mina from school on my bike. I put a pillow on the back rack, shove a helmet on her head and she squeezes me as her little straddled legs dangle. Old school! We ride home at a very leisurely pace. We talk about the day. The breeze and sun's position against the trees at that time do a number on us. Her tiny death grip around my waist and her voice vibrating off my back as we ride do a double number on me. Getting the trumpet home today took a new negotiation of space and balance. Mina rode no differently, but I held the trumpet's case handle with my left hand, a bit out to the side. It worked out fine, but it was more laborious than our regular dreamy after-school pick up. Drat you, Trumpet!

Mina decided to play out to the courtyard. This was funny. For another two rounds of Hot Cross Buns. Then I shut her down. Until tomorrow, Trumpet. But still, here's to the music that's still taught in schools! Even when it sounds like this: Bur bur bbbbrup. Bur BUR brr. Burp bur burrp. BBRR bur. Brup.

7 comments:

Tracee said...

I hear you! My son started the sax on Tuesday( after getting it last monday and waiting VERY patiently for a whole week to start his lessons: wouldn't you know his was the last lesson to start!} and it really brings me back to my own music filled school days with the trumpet. adn the flute. and the clarinet. oh if only I'd stuck with one of them.....

Marigoldie said...

Oh man, to have seen the two of you and that trumpet on the back of the bike! That's like the AP photo of the day.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Ha! We are starting violin next week...pray for us.:)

Anonymous said...

I started trumpet in fifth grade. I loved it. I rocked out Eye of the Tiger. I felt like I was good at something. I have a sneaky suspicion, my mother did not agree. The next year, we moved and I didn't get anymore music lessons. She felt chorus was enough. As an adult I tried to learn piano but my mind and fingers wouldn't cooperate. I'm routing for Mina!

Diz Rivera said...

God bless ya, Tracee & Hil.

M - I so wish I had a photo of that too!

And Rachel if and when Mina plays Eye of the Tiger will be the day I buy her the trumpet instead of renting it. Can't wait for songs like that!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Rock on, Mina! I'm with you 100% on keeping music in our schools and I'm thrilled that Mina's still offers a music program. I grew up in the Las Virgenes School District and had many musical options (I was in choir throughout middle school and high school), so it's always sad and maddening to me when I hear of music being pulled from schools. She's so lucky that you pick her up on your bike; those are bonding moments she will never forget.

Jonathan K. Cohen said...

Don't squelch Hot Cross Buns. My brother played trumpet in jr. high school and high school, and, take it from me, it all sounds like crap for the first year. The more practice Mina puts in, the better the chance of her playing improving more quickly.