Monday, May 12, 2008

Santa Monica Freeway Ride

An extreme bike advocacy group in Santa Monica called Crimanimal Mass made a statement in our neighborhood on Friday night by riding on the freeway at rush hour. About 30 cyclists invaded a local onramp and then wove through jammed traffic on the I-10, our main highway that runs from the ocean to downtown. I think this is their third freeway ride in the last few months. There is tons of criticism about the stunts, and an equal amount of support. Personally I don't mind a little radicalness to bang home a point. Here's a cool helmet-cam video from their first ride. Ride On, Cali! Read an article about it here (along with surprising updates about our school's molestation case, ug.)

5 comments:

Betsy Kimmel said...

Yo, i saw that video before on youtube-i love it. i want to do that. can you imagine if they had bicycle lanes on the fwy? awesome. keep pedaling!

Marigoldie said...

They do it in Denver too and it's great. So far I've just seen it happen downtown, and I've joined in on a block or so because I was in the hood. Love it. Bang a point home.

Anonymous said...

Watch out!!!! BIEK!!!

Great post.

Anonymous said...

YAY for bike lanes of freeways but wow that looks dangerous!!!

Diz Rivera said...

Hey Morgan - you guys are awesome! You should turn your slogan into a bumpersticker for those of us still holding on to our cars (for now anyway): "If I had ridden my bike, I'd be home by now."